Thursday, October 4, 2012

Getting to Know Our Designers :: Clare Vivier


While working for a French television station, Clare Vivier, the woman behind the eponymous handbag line, recognized a gap in stylish laptop cases. She decided to create her own, thus creating the starting point for her handbag collection. Since her launch in 2008, Clare has collaborated with names like Theory, Wren, and Refinery 29. With a focus on a minimalist aesthetic, bold colors, and luxurious materials, Clare Vivier has quickly become a staple in the wardrobes of celebrities, designers, and women all over the world. Clare strives to marry "French glamour with minimalist Los Angeles cool", to create bags that are both beautiful and functional. Although she is inspired by French fashion, all of her bags are handmade in Los Angeles, with a focus on ethical manufacturing (just another reason to love her!). Check out a Q&A with Clare below and be sure to meet her in person at our Clare Vivier trunk show on October 11th at McMullen!


Q. What was your inspiration for the Fall collection?

A. My design process for each season always begins with sourcing materials and creating an inspiration board. Taking photos from magazines, books, and combining them with swatches of beautiful pieces of leather allows me to see the bigger picture of a collection. I often find a sample of leather and then spend some time experimenting with it, seeing the shape and forms it can take and how I envision it being best put to use. I was definitely inspired by Paris for fall and the chic women I encounter when I travel there with my husband and spend time with his family in the town where he grew up.  We have a gorgeous limited edition clutch coming out for the holidays and the leather just completely steals the show. I am excited for it to come out later this year I know everyone will love it!

Q. What are you most excited about in fashion right now?

A. I am having a moment with leather and faux leather pants. They make your legs look amazing and they are the right amount of edge without pushing it too far. I alternate between two pairs of seven waxed jeans in black and a gorgeous burgundy color.

Q.What is your top style tip for women (of any age)?

A. You can always cut off leather boots to make them ankle boots. I have done this countless time with tall boots and the leather never frays and you instantly have a pair of super chic booties.


Q. What's in Clare's bag? What must have items are always in your favorite Clare Vivier bag?

A. I currently am carrying my grey suede simple tote that I had monogrammed with my initials. Inside you will find four more CV clutches and accessories! Two flat clutches, one is for my makeup and the other I swap out for when I need to go from work to an event or out to dinner. I also have my iPhone pouch, which is a gorgeous metallic color and makes anything I wear it with it look instantly better. I also have my CV zip wallet, which is navy with a red stripe, perfect for fall.  I am a bit obsessive about lipstick. Right now I have seven different kinds with me. Makeup forever, Guerlain, two reds from Revlon, two Nars, and this amazing lip-gloss that we carry at the CV store form Clarks Botanicals. I also have Josie Maran cream blush and a Nars eye pencil called Kitty. I also carry my eyelash curler and DiorShow mascara with me at all times. Also, I always have my MacBook Air, two pairs of sunglasses, and many crumpled taxi receipts!

No comments:

Post a Comment