Monday, April 23, 2012

Getting to know our designers: Kathy Kamei ~ a McMullen exclusive Q&A


We are such big fans of jewelry designer Kathy Kamei.
Beyond her absolutely gorgeous jewels, she's local to the Bay Area (yay!) and is one of the sweetest ladies we've had the pleasure of meeting.  We think you'll agree.

About Kathy Kamei
"The most important thing I have learned to do is to trust my inner voice," says Kathy Kamei, designer and CEO of the line of jewelry that bears her name, "and if I can create a piece of jewelry that inspires a person to break from the pack and celebrate their own uniqueness, that is the most exciting thing I can ever hope to do in my work."

Kathy, who grew up in Alberta, Canada created her company after a trip she took to Bali with her daughters. "The Balinese are the most beautiful human beings I have ever encountered," says Kamei, whose six-month excursion turned into a nine-year romance with the land. " I had never seen such heart, love, sprit and graciousness expressed in a community."

 
Before Kamei left the island, she created her line of jewelry. Each piece is crafted by hand in Bali by local artisans and are made of 92.5% solid silver.
Her two-tone pieces are overlayed with 18K gold vermeil. 

 
Her pieces invite the wearer to imbue them with their own meaning. Kathy believes that the beauty of her work is that it encourages people to seek their own truth. 



Photo courtesy: Kathy Kamei

McMullen Q&A with Kathy: We asked this fabulous designer some questions about her collection, inspirations and her style tips. Enjoy!
 

Q : What was your inspiration for the recent collection?
A : My Inspiration always is women. Adorning the beauty that already exists.
Celebrating relationship with self and others.

I believe in understated elegance and beauty.
Pieces that transition
from morning until night with ease and grace. 
Effortless and timeless elegance.
   

Q : How do you stay motivated and inspired ? 
A : My motivation and inspiration is how to care for myself and the people
and companions with whom I share my life.  I feel I am most inspired
to create when I am on the back of my horse. My full presence is needed
and when I am clear and focused images,
thoughts and shapes come easily.

Q : What are you most excited about in fashion & accessories right now?
A : Diversity I see so many colors, shapes and styles.
I love how women can line up with self and artistically create a style
that is uniquely there own.
My greatest loves are beautiful
fabric and sophisticated style.

Q : What is your top style tip for women (of any age)?
A : Trust of self. 
Celebrate beauty no matter where you are and take time to know yourself.      
  
Q : What's your favorite springtime indulgence?
A : Flowers and plants.  Ok ok a few shoes to throw into the mix.

I adore refreshing my garden with color. 
And I love to indulge in some
comfy shoes to carry me through the days :)


A few of our favorite pieces from Kathy Kamei:







Shop these and more pieces by Kathy Kamei at McMullen now!

And don't forget to SAVE THE DATE for our upcoming trunk show with Kathy.
Just in time for Mother's Day!
Saturday May 12, 2012
12pm to 4pm

~


No comments:

Post a Comment